May 17, 2013

13 Questions: Rodrigo Obón

This week's 13 Questions guest is an amazing artist who I've known through Facebook for around a year now. Not only is he super talented, but he also has quite the collection of movie memorabilia! You can see some of his art right here in this post and at the link to Rodrigo's site below.

1. Who are you and where are you from?
I was born in Chile but I've been living in Sweden since I was 14.

2. Where might people know you from?
I'm quite locally known: People here in my hometown know me for a couple of things. First of all for my illustrations, I had a bunch of exhibitions and I designed the logos for a couple of bars and coffeeshops. Second: I used to run a local film club that showed exploitation and cult films. It was hard work keeping that thing running since I did everything myself, I booked the films, cut trailers that were shown before the movies and, of course,  drew the posters. I was getting burned out so I'm taking a break from that at the moment. Third: I wrote the screenplay for a couple of short movies, one of which won a bunch of awards and was shown in Swedish national television.

3. When it comes to what you do, who or what are your major influences?
My major influence is old movie poster art, I love illustrated posters. Saul Bass, Drew Struzan, Bob Peak and a whole bunch of italian poster artists. Loooove italian poster art! I also get a lot of inspiration from movies and music.


4. What four peoples' faces would you put on your own personal Mt. Rushmore?
Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and Warren Oates.


5. What's the last album you bought?
Drokk - Music Inspired by Mega City One - Geoff Barrow/Ben Salsbury. A John Carperter-sounding electronic record inspired by the Judge Dredd comics

6. What are the last movies you saw in theaters and on DVD/Blu-Ray?
The last movie I saw in the theaters was, sadly, The Great Gatsby. The last DVD I saw was Tight Spot, a noir starring Edward G.Robinson, Brian Keith and Ginger Rogers.

7. What's the last podcast you listened to?
WTF With Marc Maron - ep. 388 - Noah Baumbach

8. What's the last video game you played?
I'm not a video game fan so the last time I tried to play one was Tomb Raider 3 I think. I don't have the patience to play those things.

9. What's the last book you read?
Murrow: His Life and Times by A.M. Sperber.


10. What are you favorite sports teams?
I don't care for sports so I don't have any. My father is quite disappointed in this as he is a huge Soccer fan and would love to spend some sports related quality time with his son. Sorry dad.

11. What cartoon or comic book character can you relate to the most?
Daffy Duck

12. Create a playlist of ten songs that give people an idea of your musical taste.
Ennio Morricone: Citta' Violenta
Frank Sinatra: The World We Knew (Over and over)
Charles Mingus: II B.S.
Franco Micalizzi; Roma a Mano Armata
Lalo Scifrin: Bullitt - Main Title
Miles Davis: Springsville
Buddy Rich: Brainwashed
David Shire: The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three - main Title
Tangerine Dream: Dr. Destructo
Francesco De Masi & Maurizio Graf: Find a Man


13. If you could spend the day at an amusement park with one person from the entertainment industry, who would it be and why?
Ennio Morricone. I think it would be a disaster as he seems to be quite a cranky old dude, but I wouldn't mind if he chewed me out as long as I got to meet him.


LINK:



No comments:

Post a Comment